Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hawaii, Encore!

So. . .Danny had to go to Hawaii for work. I know--HAWAII! They were completing a job on the Hawaii temple. He asked me if I wanted to go, and at first I said "No way!" Taking a 15 month old on a 6 hour flight there and back after I swore I would never do it again was just not appealing to me. But then the thought of Danny calling me from the beach while sipping some POG (papaya, orange, guava juice- so delicious) while I was stuck here in the snow was too much to handle. So I decided to go.

However, two days before going, I got strep throat of all things. My mom was still here from her Easter weekend trip so she took care of Shayne for me while I laid on the couch both of those days. You are a lifesaver mom! Then, a few hours before my mom was supposed to fly home, she suggested that she could take Shayne home with her while we went to Hawaii (we were leaving the next day). Perfect right! You would think with all my doubts about taking Shayne with us, my illness, and the fact that we don't get offers like this often that I would have jumped at the chance, right???? I COULDN'T DO IT! Everytime I looked at Shayne and thought about it, I started crying thinking how much I would miss her. Danny told me after my mom left that I made a "big mistake!" I know! I blame it on being sick.

Not sure why I can't get these pics in order, but this was the after effect of a red-eye flight and a 4 hour time change. We are still adjusting.
But once we got there and adjusted to the time change, we had a great time. We stayed on the north shore of Oahu at Turtle Bay Condos. I would totally recommend it for anyone. Heated pool just out of our condo with the beach only a few step beyond that. The north shore is true Hawaii- no shopping, not a lot of restaurants, tons of surfers, and big waves. We did go to the PCC show and dinner one night, to town to get a snow cone, and drove around BYU Hawaii once, but otherwise it was the beach and the pool for us.

On our way out of town, we went to Pearl Harbor. Danny's true calling in life:
Beach girl:


Sunset beach:
Turtle Bay:

We had a great time! And I am now putting this in writing-- I will never take a 15 month old on a 6 hour OR red-eye flight again. Standing in the back of the plane with a wiggling kid on your hip for 2 hours is not all that fun.

4 comments:

MiShelle said...

You guys are so fun. Yay for you! Your lil' baby is such a babe.

annette said...

Looks like everybody had a great time! Glad you're home safe and sound!

Haley said...

how did i miss this? you didn't even mention it the other day! how fun!

Broadbent Family said...

What fun trips. I know what you mean about taking a little one on a long flight. When Hollyn was 18months we took her on a cruise with my family to Puerto Rico. Talk about a long flight, thank goodness there were so many people for her to go to or I would have lost my mind. She looked like she had a great time, and who wouldn't look at that face and cry at the thought of leaving her, she is adorable.