Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dinner Fiasco!

So a friend and I decided to do a dinner exchange one night a week. Sweet! And I thought I would start off the fun. So yesterday, I decided to make this:







And this:

















And some of these. . . yummy!












Delicious! However. . . things did not go as planned. First, I made the base of the brownies earlier in the day. I baked them in your typical glass Pyrex plan. Well, when I took them out I set them on the countertop. It had probably been sitting there for a full minute or two and I wasn't even touching the pan, when it shattered into pieces. And not just a couple of pieces, it broke into tons of tiny pieces on the counter and floor! Ugh! So I had to sweep and mop while keeping a 15 month old out of the kitchen.

Ok, I could have dealt with just that. But as I was cooking everything, our power went out! And didn't come on for about 5 hours, by the way. So, the sandwiches I just had to assemble as I thought she might want to cook them in her George Forman at home (aka panini grill) so they were fresh. But the soup!- it was cooked, but you are supposed to blend half of it to make it good before you eat it. Well, no power, no blender. And at this point I am doing everything in dim lighting as it's getting darker.

So, OK- I have half finished soup and half finished sandwiches, but the brownies are complete. I pack it all up and head over to her house. But I'm in a hurry and do I remember that I have a bowl of soup on the floor-no! Soup-everywhere on the floor of the car! Ugh!

I figure it can't go any worse next time. It can only get better!

5 comments:

Maren said...

Oh that is so sad!!! I'm sure it will get better from here. I used to do that with a group of friends, we would all take 1 night so you only cooked 1x a week. It sure is nice, but the night you cook gets a little stressful!

annette said...

Looks like you are on your way to becoming a gourmet cook! It will just get easier with practice and a little electricity!

Broadbent Family said...

What a great idea. The menu sounded delicious. I'm sure it turned out much better than you thought, and you're right it can only get better from here.

Jodi said...

ok, so that soup actually looks really tasty! You'll have to make it again sometime. I think you should have had dinner brought to YOU that day! Not the other way around. What a fiasco.

Sally and Max Brown said...

Oh man! That is crazy! I am feeling stressed for you just reading about it! I totally am hungry looking at that delicious menu!