Friday, July 17, 2009

Domesticity and Thievery

How do these two things go together you ask. . . .well they did during this last week. First of all, I spent a day cooking. This doesn't happen often (just ask Danny), but when it does, I am pretty dang proud of myself. I made the best granola (thank you Teddy for the recipe). We'll eat it for weeks. Don't you just get tired of the cereals in the store for breakfast? Well if you do here is a great recipe:

In a pot, boil together until the sugar is smooth:
6 c. oil
4 c. honey
2 c. brown sugar
1-2 tsp. vanilla
*dash of salt

Add this to:
4 large canister of oats
*wheat germ: maybe about 3-4 cups
*millet-if you can find it: maybe 2-3 cups
Coat oat mixture thoroughly and then spread onto cookie sheets. Bake each at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. After it is baked add dried fruit like craisins, raisins, dried cherries and toasted nuts like flax, almond slivers, pumpkins seeds, walnut gems, sesame seeds. Let it completely cool before storing.

Now the thievery. I went up the canyon with a friend to hike a little. When we got back to our cars, both had a window busted and our purses stolen!!!! Such a pain!! Both of our wallets were stolen and my cell phone. And when I called my phone they actually answered it, didn't say anything, but my friend gave them a good PG-rated cursing. They charged some stuff at gas stations on her credit cards too. Please, is that the best you can do. At least buy some expensive leather boots or something nice. When I got my cellphone re-routed to a new phone, I had a voicemail from a woman named Amber who in a lovely gravely, smokers voice asked why I hadn't called her back yet. Awesome. Anyway, I think I have finally learned my lesson. If you give people the opportunity to take advantage of you, they will-so be cautious!

4 comments:

Jodi said...

did this amber leave a number? i'm dying to get ahold of these idiots and get that key back!

Natalie said...

Move over Martha Stewart, this granola rocks!! Super yummy! Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to make it and keep loving it.

So sorry about the Millcreek Canyon robbery for you and Jodi. Rotten luck.

Your Cali. trips are really cute! Fun trip.

cbleeflang said...

That granola recipe must last for months!
I am still so sorry about the robbery. I hope you will give my your new phone number.

Brittanny said...

I didn't know you could cook! Holly, the pics of Jason & Shayne are so sweet! I love her swim suit in CA and her rolly-polly legs! She just gets cuter and cuter! Is that possible? Apparently it is!